The Afghanistan Economic and Legal Studies Organization (AELSO) is an independent think-tank based in Afghanistan and registered as a non-profit and non-political non-governmental organization with the Ministry of Economy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on December 10, 2009 (Registration Number 1532). The mission of AELSO is to promote the values of individual freedom and of the responsibility of civil society for the creation and sustenance of the institutions of limited government, the rule of law, and the other institutional foundations of the free society. That includes strengthening the institutions of the free-market economy, such as clear definition of, and respect, for property, and promotion of freedom of expression, toleration, human rights, and civil peace.
AELSO does so by:
1. Producing original studies in economics, law, and political science to help to guide policy makers;
2. Reviewing the legislative codes and promoting improvement of the legal system;
3. Educating the Afghan public who are engaged in the democratic guidance of their own government;
4. Working with the media (including but not limited to print, broadcast, and internet) to explain the value to the entire population of mutual respect, limited government, and creation of value through production and exchange, rather than mere redistribution through violence;
5. Engaging the religious communities of Afghanistan, including scholars, clerics, and ordinary believers, in the creation of civil peace and prosperity through promoting better understanding of the mutual advantages of markets, the rule of law, and personal freedom and responsibility;
6. Involving the wealth-creating sectors of Afghan society (e.g., farmers, traders, businesspeople, employees, professionals) in strengthening the legal foundations of the market economy;
7. Creating a domestic network for liberty and cooperating with regional and international networks for liberty, free trade, and peace;
8. And working with young people to equip the next generation of Afghans to create a society of liberty, responsibility, peace, and prosperity.
1. Working to better present the market-economy for Afghan society, particularly for individuals who are working in industries, businesses, and some other academic institutions in Afghanistan.
2. Building capacity of individuals in making economical policies regarding the standard of market-economy and improving legal basis relevant to that.
3. Working on public- awareness in legal standards.
4. Maintaining network and cooperation with national and international institutions relevant to rule of law and development of legal principles in Afghanistan.
5. Increasing awareness level of people about, human’s right, women’s right, children’s right, defective’s right “including those who where victim of war”.
6. Conducting academic research in areas of economic and legal issues including interactive rights.
7. Maintaining close relationship with policy-making institutions, including parliament and all other sectors of the government, for sharing academic analysis in order to improve economy and legal situation of Afghanistan.
- Print and publishing academic books in legal and free-economy with consultation & co-operation of academic institutions.
- Translation of academic books in fields of economy and law by national languages of the country including Pashto.
- Co-operate with government and non-government organizations to reform laws, regulations and terms of references.
- Research and study on legal issues, human rights, and free-economy.
- Organizing, Seminars, workshops , academic-conferences, researches and providing training regarding free-economy, various legal issues, human rights and rule of law.
- Organizing training and educational programs, for defense lawyers, legal advisors for providing advises and defense in justice institutions from personalities in field of free-economy.
- Participation in economic, legal and human rights campaigns to obtain investments on legal developments, human rights and poverty reduction.
- Training legal standards for Afghans to enhance their legal knowledge.
- Publishing books, leaflets, brochures, providing academic and analytical trainings programs through mass-media
Click here to see our Advisory Board Members
A short vedio of AELSO's Introduction in Dari Language